Tuesday, August 12, 2014

So Much to do...So Little Time!

Currently I have been in the Paris Study of Abroad program since July 29th; to be honest I am a little homesick. I broke my phone not to far into the trip, and the only unfortunate thing about class is that there is not a lot of break time…so yes…I am exhausted.

Even though I’m having some bad luck…I am in PARIS! Throughout my stay so far I have noticed a HUGE difference in the culture between America and Europe. Something even as common as getting groceries is not the easiest thing to do. After purchasing the groceries and depending on what store it is, they might give you a bag. Than you have to carry it on the metro and sometimes there are a lot of people, and lets just say it’s an experience.  Walking around and seeing all the Café’s I noticed that people are not constantly on their phones. Also not everyone has a smart phone…believe it or not! Not having a phone has been a breath of fresh air, every time I am out and about or out to eat I am not taking a picture of my food, or updating my status about where I am, or snap chatting.

Although I am not always posting about where I am, I can actually write a lot more about some of the experiences I had so far. I had the opportunity to visit some amazing landmarks,
and as a media communications major I do not understand the whole architecture aspect of it…but every building and garden is so beautiful.

I cannot forget to mention that I did visit the Eiffel Tower, a couple times actually! It is so gigantic, and there are many people there at all times of the day. I mentioned earlier in my blogs that I was planning to meet up with my really good friend Leonie. We decided to meet up at the Eiffel tower; it was not the smartest idea.  We both didn’t have phones to text with, so that made it even harder. When we finally found each other under the center of the Tower, it was great catching up with her. Even though we didn’t get to meet for a long time, it was incredible that after all these years we got to hangout at one of the most beautiful places in the world!

I also had the opportunity to see places like the Notre Dame Cathedral. As a little kid I have always dreamed of going there. Seeing it on the Disney movie, or in pictures online and now actually seeing it in person was unbelievable.

Throughout this abroad trip we also had the opportunity to go to Normandy. Which is extremely different from Paris. If I had to compare Paris to anywhere, I would say it’s a lot like New York City. Normandy is a lot smaller and calmer, and it was actually a nice get away from the liveliness of Paris. While in Normandy we went to the Omaha beaches. Although it was very beautiful, it was also heartbreaking to think about all the fighting that had happened there. Seeing thousands of tombstones was unbelievable. I am happy to see that the military is being represented, and the people who were there will not be forgotten.   


















There is still so much more to see and not a lot of time left on this trip. I am very surprised I have not gotten a blister from all the walking. Next all of the classes will be presenting their projects that were assigned in beginning of the year. I am so nervous for presenting, we are displaying our work at Chez Grace’s apartment. Grace has been letting Lawrence Tech students present at her place for a couple years now, and she will be inviting important people over. So after all the stress of presenting is over, we will have a two-day break and I will be spending that break in Barcelona Spain! Until than I will be working hard on preparing for the presentation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment